Saturday, November 17, 2007

11/16: What I Accomplished Today

1. I did finish The Last Empress last night. Then I spent half an hour or so on Wikipedia trying to figure out what elements of the book had been fact and which fiction. Lots of historical events in the book, but I didn't feel I knew the people particularly well at the end.

2. This afternoon was Literary Society; the author of The Last Empress spoke. She gave a really fascinating talk about life under Mao's Communist regime in China. I could have listened to her talk about this longer.

3. Came home and took a nap.

4. Book group. Finally discussed In the Company of the Courtesan, which it seems like I finished 122 years ago.

5. Picked up the next book in the pile, which is a rather serious book of Biblical scholarship, and just thought to myself, "No, not yet. My brain needs to play a little." So I'm rereading Little House in the Big Woods. I used to love this one, and I understand why.

6. Did an auction check in WOW, but that's about it.

No comments: