Wednesday, October 31, 2007

10/30: What I Accomplished Today

This autofilled, indicating I already have a post of this name. I shouldn't. I wonder why that happened.

1. Prepped a class, graded a class, taught a class.

2. Television and Pogo badges.

3. I finished Blink last night. Let me make a few comments before I forget:

a. Any standardized test or writing sample is an attempt to thin-slice. The Placement program I administer is rather like the Cook County hospital in Chicago's work with heart patient; we decided to reject a lot of the information we had been gathering and found we got better data.

b. This book is a good example of concrete vs. abstract. The stories and examples are fascinating. The generalizations only work to the extent that you remember the anecdotes.

c. The stuff with the facial expressions was really interesting ("a faked smile is #5; a genuine smile is #5 with #12" or some such). I'd be interested in learning more about this.

It seems like I had other things I wanted to say about this book, but now I cannot remember what they were.

4. Level 39 Draenei shaman. Started the naga in Arathi and realized I wasn't having fun; I hate those three naga quests. So I just didn't do them! Bwahaha! I am diabolical. (I know, I am lame.)

5. Read some magazines and started Water for Elephants, which is very enjoyable so far.

No comments: