Sunday, August 12, 2007

8/11: What I Accomplished Today

1. Pogo Badges.

2. Watched Bill Moyers. Now hear this: government cannot be about polls. If Civil Rights had been polled, the process would not yet have begun. Just because a majority of people (growing or shrinking, or even if it's not a majority or is just perceived to be such) seem to believe something doesn't mean that's what the government has to, or should, do it. I was reminded today of the Ben Franklin quote (which I'm not going to quote but paraphrase): "Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to eat. A constitutional republic [I may not have this right] is when the sheep has some recourse."

I don't care whether you call it marriage or civil unions. (I know, I should care; if we don't, then in 20 years, we'll be called cowards and appeasers by those who follow us). But you know what? I don't care. Call it whatever you want, but let me provide me self-employed Co-Vivant with health insurance from my job so we aren't obliterated whenever something, however minor, comes up. Financially, the current set-up makes us sheep. We have no recourse.

We also watched some comedies.

3. I don't know what brought this thought on, but something that was said on television tonight or last night at book group reminded me I want to be on the record with this: we need another word for all the "-oholic" groups, because "addiction" isn't right. I will accept that alcohol, for some people, is an addiction; there are serious physical side effects if they use it. I will accept that tobacco and other substances, for most people (perhaps all, although the jury's still out on that) are addictions; there are serious physical effects if they use it (or, more precisely, when they try to stop).

But shopping is not an addiction. Videogames are not an addiction. I will accept that they are used as drugs, substitutes for something else that cannot possibly fulfill the roles they are being asked to play. But anybody who has physical side effects from not shopping needs therapy. Anybody who has physical side effects from not playing videogames is probably throwing a blessed tantrum and needs to be ignored. I think it lessens the word "addiction" nearly to the point of rendering it meaningless when we apply it to abuse of everything people have the capacity to misuse (which is everything).

4. Level 34 Dwarf Rogue. Various Hillsbrad and Arathi quests. Dinged 35. Stat and mail check.

5. Played the demo hour of Fever Frenzy, which is essentially "Diner Dash in a hospital." I have mixed feelings about this: the game's not bad (although not new or fresh enough that I have a compelling need to buy it; I've played this before). The problem for me is that it's harder to score well by using chains because I'm perfectly willing to delay the meals of pretend people for a few seconds so I can do four in a row. I'm not willing to jeopardize the health care of pretend people by delaying treatment of someone so I can do four in a row. Having been in a hospital, I can't bring myself to do that. Yes, I know the people are pretend. That's hardly the point.

6. Read a little for Arthur.

No comments: